Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 22, 2011

Baked-Eggplant Parmesan

I love eggplant, but my husband does not.  He says it is too mushy.  Since I had gotten some eggplant from the farmers market, I had to use it, so I decided to try this recipe.  I made a few modifications based on what I had in the fridge.  Needless to say, my hubby ate it and wanted more.  He even ate the leftovers the next day.  So in my book, this recipe is a keeper.

Baked-Eggplant Parmesan

parchment paper for baking sheet
2 large eggs
3/4 cup italian breadcrumbs
3/4 cup parmesan cheese 
2 medium eggplant
1 small to medium jar spaghetti sauce (I used Prego Heart Smart Ricotta Parmesan)
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
10-12 slices provolone


  1. Preheat oven to 375 and line baking sheet with parchment paper (makes or easy clean up)
  2. In 1 bowl whisk together 2 eggs and 1 tbsp water and set aside
  3. In another bowl add breadcrumbs
  4. Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2 inch thick rounds or thiner, dip in egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs and place on baking sheet.
  5. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven and raise the oven temperature to 400.
  7. In a 9x9 square dish, layer the eggplant, a thin layer of sauce, 1/4 of mozzarella, 4 slices of provolone and 1/4 parmesan.  Continue this process for 3 layers and then you should be done.
  8. Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment