Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 20, 2011

Spinach Quiche & Bacon and Cheese Quiche

When I was around 12 years old, my Mom gave me Julia Child "The Way To Cook" cookbook for Christmas.  I thought it was the greatest gift in the world.  Unfortunately, 26 years later, the only recipes I have mastered from this book are her Quiche recipes.  They are so good and  you can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner, how wonderful is that!   I try not to make them too often because they are so good you can't just eat one slice.  Plus they are better cold and since they are made in a pie shell, you don't even need a plate, just a fork which means in my house 2 quiches would last us about 48 hours max.  I have tweaked the recipe a bit because I like more cheese, so feel free to tailor it to what you like.  All in all I would like to say thank you Julia Child's for a truly remarkable quiche recipe.  I have never had one as good as hers...ever.

Spinach Quiche


2 shallots minced
2 tbsp butter
10 oz chopped spinach (1 box frozen) defrosted with any water squeezed out.
salt
pepper
nutmeg
3 large eggs
1 cup milk or cream ( I use whole milk)
3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
9 inch pre baked pie shell


  1. Pre-heat oven to 375
  2. Saute shallots in butter over medium heat for about 1 minute and add spinach, stir over heat until tender.
  3. Take pan off heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (to taste).
  4. In a large measuring cup (2-4 cup capacity) add eggs and enough milk or cream to make 1 1/2 cups "custard" mixture and set aside.
  5. Take pre-baked pie crust and add 1/2 shredded swiss to the bottom.
  6. In a separate bowl add cooled spinach mixture to your "custard" mixture and combine well.
  7. Pour into pie shell and top with remaining cheese
  8. Bake for 30-35 minutes until brown and bubbly.


Cheese and Bacon Quiche


6 strips of bacon cooked until crisp

salt
pepper
nutmeg
3 large eggs
1 cup milk or cream ( I use whole milk)
3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
9 inch pre baked pie shell

  1. Pre-heat oven to 375
  2. Break up pieces of bacon and strew them in the bottom of the pie shell on top of cheese
  3. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top of bacon.
  4. In a large measuring cup (2-4 cup capacity) add eggs and enough milk or cream to make 1 1/2 cups "custard" mixture and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
  5. Pour "custard" mixture into pie shell and top with remaining cheese
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes until brown and bubbly.






No comments:

Post a Comment