Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 4, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Chunk-Cherry Cookies

Growing up we were not a "dessert" family.  Dessert was something you got when you went to dinner after church or at our grandparents house.  So when I had Reid and he started eating solid foods, it never occured to me to feed him dessert.  I think it wasn't until he was 18 months old and we were in NOLA visiting family and my Dad and sister's gave him his first real taste of sugar, an Icee ( while I kicked and screamed and cringed, I still don't let him have the icing off Birthday cakes).  Ever since then he is a dessert kind of guy.  Since I can not bring myself to buy  processed cookies  and cakes in the stores, I figured I would start baking.  It is not my favorite thing to do, but the results are always rewarding.  Tonight we made these cookies (Thank you Martha Stewart) and they are not diet friendly, trust me. When I asked him what he thought of them  he just looked at me and said "Thank You"...enough said :)  This recipe does take some time, once you make the cookies they have to sit in the fridge for an hour before baking and they make about 5 dozen.  I also would not bake anything if I did not have a stand mixer, there are just some things you can not do with a wisk or wooden spoon!

<span>CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHUNK-CHERRY COOKIES</span>

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I sift it, so it is really 3 cups flour, sifted)
2 tsp baking soda
3 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 bag semisweet chocolate chips (I like Ghiardelli)
8 ounces dried cherries 

  1. Preheat oven to 375 and whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
  2. Beat butter and sugars until pale and creamy.
  3. Add eggs, 1 at a time mixing all together well.
  4. Beat in vanilla, then flour mixture.
  5. Beat in chocolate and cherries
  6. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
  7. Bake on parchment paper until edges are brown, about 10-15 minutes depending on your oven.

 ·  · Share · Delete

No comments:

Post a Comment