Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

When I first saw this recipe on TV back in 2006 I remember the gates of heaven opening up as I watched how easy this was to put together.  I had always wanted to cook Chicken and Dumplings like my grandmother made, but I remember it being 100 ingredients and making dumplings from scratch, something I was never going to do.  Thank you to Sandra Lee for bringing this recipe into my family.  There is nothing better on a cold rainy day than a bowl of this, I urge everyone to give it a try.  It is quick, easy and delicious...I promise!

Chicken and Dumplings
1 whole Rotisserie Chicken - store bought
1 Tbsp Canola Oil
1 Onion - chopped
64 oz. low sodium Chicken Broth (2 boxes)
1 Tbsp Poultry Seasoning (I use Emeril's Chicken Rub)
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
4 whole Carrots peeled and sliced
4-5 Celery stalks- sliced
1 can Chicken Gravy
1 roll Buttermilk biscuit dough


  1. Remove skin from chicken and shred the meat.
  2. In a dutch oven or large pot, add Canola Oil and saute onions until soft and clear.
  3. Add broth, poultry seasoning, salt, carrots, and celery and bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until veggies are soft.
  5. Add chicken to broth mixture and simmer on low heat while you make the dumplings.
  6. Open can and remove biscuits.
  7. Flatten each biscuit and cut into 4 pie-pieces and set aside
  8. Stir in chicken gravy
  9. While stew is still simmering, begin adding the biscuits a few at a time.  
  10. Once all dumplings are in the pot, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment